Sahara Stones Hotel: Your Serowe Oasis Awaits (Botswana's Best Kept Secret?)
Sahara Stones Hotel: Is This Botswana's Best-Kept Secret? (My Take, for What It's Worth!)
Okay, so I just got back from Sahara Stones Hotel in Serowe, Botswana. And let me tell you, the "best-kept secret" thing? It's a bold claim. Did it live up to the hype? Well, buckle up, buttercups, because this is gonna be a ride. Forget the usual stiff hotel review; this is the truth.
First Impressions: The Good, the Okay, and the "Wait, What Was That?"
Alright, so picture this: You're bouncing down a dusty road, miles from anywhere, and then – BAM! – a little oasis pops up. That's Sahara Stones. The architecture? Definitely aiming for "upscale safari lodge." Think lots of stone (duh!), earthy tones, and… well, let's be honest, a serious attempt at looking fancy.
Accessibility: A Solid "Mostly"
Right off the bat, let's talk accessibility. This is important, and honestly, a big win for Sahara Stones. They've got wheelchair accessible areas, and that's fantastic. The elevator is a godsend, and the facilities for disabled guests are clearly a priority. Now, I didn’t need wheelchair accessibility myself, but I saw others using these features, and everything seemed to be working smoothly. The check-in/out [private] option is nice, too - cuts down on the jostling.
The Room: My Personal Sanctuary (with a Few Quirks)
My room? Oh, she was alright. Let's be honest, I live in a shoebox, so any hotel room feels palatial. The air conditioning was a lifesaver in the Botswana heat, and the blackout curtains actually worked! (A rare and beautiful thing). The bed was decent – a good length (extra long bed – finally!) and the linens were clean and crisp. They even had bathrobes! Okay, I'm picturing all of these things, right? Imagine a crisp white robe that doesn't feel like it was ironed with a brick (a very important detail to me.)
Now, onto the little things… there were some minor things that felt like they needed a little "oomph" in the room, like there's an in-room safe box, but no instructions, and the hair dryer, which my wife used -- was the size of a small child's fist. And for the love of all that is holy, can we get a decent mirror in the bathroom?! Seriously, I need to SEE myself when I'm getting ready. The complimentary tea was nice, but I always had to ask for it. And although there's free Wi-Fi in all rooms! -- and Internet access - wireless -- it sometimes felt, well….spotty. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to work while I'm on vacation, but a person needs something to connect to!
Dining: A Mixed Bag, But Mostly Delicious
Food, Glorious Food! This is where Sahara Stones really shines… sometimes.
- Restaurants: They have a few, and they're all pretty… Botswana-y. The restaurant itself is lovely - the open plan lends itself to a really beautiful space and is perfectly designed for the environment.
- Breakfast: The breakfast [buffet] was impressive, with a mix of Asian breakfast options. The buffet in restaurant was solid gold. The Western breakfast was also there.
- Lunch and Dinner: They do a great job, but I didn’t get to order as much as I would have liked. The a la carte was actually brilliant with the International cuisine in restaurant, but I wish they had a bit more of the Asian cuisine in restaurant. I did find the desserts in restaurant very tasty and enjoyed the salad in restaurant from the Vegetarian restaurant.
- Snacks and Drinks: They had a poolside bar for cocktails, and the coffee shop was a lifesaver. This is a big win for the hotel.
Ways to Relax (or Not Relax, Depending on Your Style)
Alright, so you want to unwind? Sahara Stones has options.
- The Pool: The swimming pool [outdoor] is lovely, with a pool with a view.
- Spa: The spa/sauna looks promising. I was too busy stuffing my face with curry, to be honest.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe (Even with the Dust)
Let's talk serious stuff. During these weird times, you want to be reassured. They ticked all the boxes. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, room sanitization opt-out available, staff trained in safety protocol. The hotel also had CCTV in common areas, and security [24-hour]. I felt safe.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Extras That Matter
- The concierge: Really helpful with everything from booking taxi, to helping with car rental, to explaining where everything is.
- Currency Exchange: They had it!
- Daily Housekeeping: On point.
- Luggage Storage: Convenient.
Things to Do: Beyond the Hotel Walls
This is where things get tricky. Serowe is… quiet. Sahara Stones can arrange airport transfer, but you'll want to get out and see some stuff.
Overall Vibe: Serowe-style Luxury?
Sahara Stones is aiming for a luxury experience, and it gets pretty darn close. They are trying very hard to maintain the appearance of a resort, and there are certainly elements of that. But the location in Serowe means that you need to factor in the lack of other nearby facilities and the need to travel to get to them. All things to keep in mind when considering your stay.
The Verdict: Botswana's Best-Kept Secret?… Maybe, Maybe Not
Look, Sahara Stones is a good hotel. The staff are lovely, the food is generally delicious, and the amenities are solid. It's clean, safe, and ticks all the boxes in a way. However, if you're expecting over-the-top luxury, or a vibrant nightlife scene, you might be slightly disappointed. But hey, if you're looking for a relaxing getaway in a unique location, Sahara Stones is definitely worth considering.
So, is it Botswana's "best-kept secret?" I'm not fully convinced by that. But it's a damn good secret, one I might just keep to myself.
Ready to Book? Here's My "Book Now!" Pitch (because I get commission, duh!)
Tired of the Tourist Traps? Discover Serowe's Oasis with Sahara Stones!
Escape the ordinary and dive into the heart of Botswana at Sahara Stones Hotel. Imagine waking up to the sounds of the African dawn, enjoying a gourmet breakfast, and spending your day lounging by the pool.
Here's what you need to know:
- Accessibility Champion: Comfortable with a wheelchair? No problem! Sahara Stones is designed with everyone in mind.
- Foodie Adventures: From international cuisine to local flavors, your taste buds are in for a treat.
- Relaxation Station: Pamper yourself with a massage, take a dip in the pool, and unwind.
- Safety First: Enjoy peace of mind with top-notch hygiene standards.
But here's the real hook (and the commission grab):
- "The Serowe Secret" Package: Book now and get a free upgrade to a room with a better view, PLUS a complimentary bottle of local wine.
- Early Bird Special: Secure your escape and get a 15% discount on your stay.
- Family Fun: Get a 50% discount on babysitting services if you book your stay before the end of the month.
This is YOUR chance to experience the authenticity of Botswana, away from the crowds. Don't wait! Book your stay at Sahara Stones Hotel TODAY and discover why it's Botswana's best-kept secret… or at least, a damn good secret that YOU should experience.
Belo Horizonte's Boulevard Express: The Ultimate Guide (Hidden Gems Revealed!)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to go on a safari… of the soul, maybe? Or at least around a hotel in Serowe, Botswana. This isn't your perfectly curated Instagram feed; this is the real, sweaty, slightly disorganised me in the Sahara Stones Hotel. Let's do this, but be warned: I might get a little melodramatic. Or hungry. Probably both.
Sahara Stones Serowe: A Messy, Wonderful, and Probably Under-Air-Conditioned Itinerary (Because Reality Bites)
Day 1: Arrival, Confusion, and the Quest for Decent Coffee
- 14:00 - Touchdown in Gaborone (GBE). Okay, first off, the airport? Adorable. Like a tiny, slightly dusty, airport where everyone knows everyone. I'm immediately feeling the "laid-back African vibe," which, let's be honest, probably translates to "things take longer." Good. I need to slow down. I'm always in a rush.
- 15:30 - The Drive to Serowe (and the Great Mopane Worm Incident). The rental car? Slightly less adorable. It's a Toyota, which is a comfort, but looks like it's seen better days, probably involving a herd of elephants and a particularly grumpy warthog. The drive is long. REALLY long. But beautiful. The vast, flat, ochre landscape… It's stunning. Then, BAM. Mopane worms. Literally, worms. All over the road. And being squashed. (Note to self: buy a sturdy pair of shoes).
- 18:00 - Sahara Stones Hotel Check-in. Oh, the Air Conditioning… The hotel is… well, it’s got character. A lot of character. The lobby smells vaguely of disinfectant and ambition. My room? Let's just say the air conditioning is… optimistic. It exists. Sort of. I immediately unpack, and the first thing is an attempt to get hold of a decent cup of coffee. This is crucial, my friends. Without caffeine, I am a grumpy, disoriented sloth. The coffee situation, however, is a disaster. Instant coffee is the only option. (Sigh). This is a test. A test of my resilience.
- 19:00 - Dinner – The Chicken Conundrum. The restaurant doesn't look bad. The staff are super friendly. But they are out of half of the menu. I go with chicken, because clearly the gods have placed me here, with a chicken to fulfill the dinner with. It's cooked. It's chicken. It’s… okay. I eat it. It's a start. But the loneliness starts to creep in. The utter alienness of the place, the sheer vastness of the sky above… I start to feel the weight of all my problems, and the fact that I'm not sure if I packed enough sunscreen.
- 20:30 - Evening Stroll (and the Starry, Starry Night!). I decide to brave the evening and walk around the hotel grounds. The sky is a million diamonds. Seriously, INCREDIBLE. Never seen so many stars. Then I trip over a freaking root. Grace, I have none. End of stroll. Back to the room to mentally compose a strongly-worded email to the air conditioning gods.
Day 2: The Khama Rhino Sanctuary and the Search for the Perfect Picture (and the Perfect Burger)
- 07:00 - Breakfast (and the Coffee Crisis Resumes). The breakfast situation: slightly less disastrous than the previous evening's dinner. There's toast. There's jam. There are those sad little individually wrapped packets of instant coffee. (Deep shudder). I force myself to eat, because energy is important. I will get that perfect picture!
- 08:00 - Heading off to Khama Rhino Sanctuary. Before I can take a picture, I need a ride. I negotiate with a taxi driver (another adventure of it's own). I can't see the whole of the world, I'm still dealing with the language barrier and culture. Then, a glorious thing: the Khama Rhino Sanctuary. The rhinos!! Majestic creatures lumbering around. The light is changing but I manage to snap some picture. Honestly, the sheer privilege of witnessing these creatures is enough to change how I feel about everything.
- 12:00 - Lunch (The Burger Quest, Begins!) Back at the hotel, I’m on a mission. The quest for the perfect burger. Apparently, there aren’t many burger options. I find one. It’s… not perfect. It’s got a weird patty and soggy fries. But I eat it anyway and finish my meal with a bad ice coffee.
- 14:00 - Poolside, Pondering Life and Wishing for a Real Cocktail. The pool? Clean. The sun? Blazing. The cocktail menu? Non-existent. I settle for a lukewarm juice box and people watch. The locals seem unfazed. They swim. They laugh. They seem to be enjoying the sun. I attempt to relax, but the sheer existential weight of being here sometimes feels heavy. This is a good time, for some self reflection.
- 16:00 - The Sunset and the Serenity (Mostly). The colours are unreal. I watch the sunset. I take pictures. Again. The sheer beauty almost makes me forget about the lack of air conditioning. Almost. Then, a fly lands in my drink. Okay, maybe not quite.
Day 3: Departure (and a Promise to Return… Eventually)
- 07:00 - Last breakfast. Instant Coffee… Still. I'm strangely sad to leave. It's been a journey. Not just the physical one, but a journey inside my own head. I’ve felt the loneliness, grappled with my imperfections, and found a little bit of peace. And the air conditioning has been, well, a testament to perseverance.
- 08:00 - Check out.
- 08:30 - The Drive Home (Worms be Gone!)
- 11:00 - Flight.
Quirky Observations and Rambles (Because Why Not?):
- The biggest thing in Serowe? The sky. The sheer, vast, limitless sky. It's both beautiful and terrifying.
- Botswana time: definitely a thing. Get used to it.
- I saw a herd of goats.
- I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere, but I also felt like I was exactly where I needed to be.
- This experience is a reminder to stay open to new cultures and experiences. I'm not sure I'll ever conquer the air conditioning situation but, it's been an adventure.
Final Thoughts (and a Mildly Sarcastic Conclusion):
Sahara Stones Hotel, you were… an experience. A slightly sweaty, occasionally frustrating, unexpectedly beautiful experience. Would I recommend it? Yes. But pack your own coffee, and prepare to embrace the journey. And the Mopane worms. Because life in Botswana is full of surprises. And I, for one, am grateful for all of the (sometimes brutal) unexpected.
Uncover Nazareth's Secrets: Luxurious Antique Guesthouse Awaits!
Sahara Stones Hotel: Before You Go (My Chaotic Take)
Okay, so Serowe... Botswana's a bit out there. What the *heck* is Sahara Stones about? Is it actually worth the trek?
Alright, deep breaths. Serowe. Think… untouched beauty, genuine people, and a total absence of the usual tourist hordes. Sahara Stones? Picture this: a *slightly* dusty oasis, a little rough around the edges, but brimming with charm. And yes, after my trip? Absolutely worth it. I’m talking soul-cleansing isolation, genuine smiles, and a feeling like you’ve stumbled onto a secret handshake between you and the real Botswana. It ain't the Ritz, mind you (more like… a very comfortable, incredibly charming B&B), but its magic is undeniable. I went in with a list of expectations, and ended up ditching 90% of them. Best. Trip. Ever.
The rooms… what are they actually like? The website promises ‘luxury’… is that... accurate?
Luxury? Mmm, let's redefine that. Think 'comfortable African chic'. Think vast, airy spaces (seriously, I could have comfortably held a small dance-off in mine), gorgeous natural light, and a general feeling of calm. My room, the ‘Kalahari Suite’ (I think?), was HUGE. The bed? Oh, the bed! Like sinking into a cloud made of dreams and… the sweet, sweet peace of being away from everything. The bathroom was clean, perfectly functional, no complaints. The website photos are… well, they're *optimistic*. But trust me, you won't be disappointed. I personally don't think "luxury" has to mean gold taps and a butler. Sometimes, it’s about the *feeling*, and Sahara Stones hits that nail right on the head. It's a homey luxury, okay? Good enough, and that's all that matters.
Food! What’s the culinary scene like? I'm a picky eater, should I be worried?
Okay, food. My Achilles heel. And I’m a bit of a food snob, let’s be honest. The Sahara Stones restaurant? It’s… simple. Hearty. And delicious. They make a mean breakfast (seriously, the omelets… *chef’s kiss*). Dinner options rotate. I had a fantastic, slow-cooked lamb one night that made me want to weep with happiness. Another night? A perfectly acceptable chicken stew. Think home-cooked goodness, with local ingredients. If you're all about Michelin stars, then maybe pack some backup snacks. But honestly? After a day of exploring, the food tastes amazing. And the restaurant staff? Oh, my heart! They're so friendly, and genuinely want you to enjoy yourself. And the bar? Yes, they serve cocktails. And yes, they are strong.
Is there Wi-Fi? Because, you know... life.
Yes, there's Wi-Fi. But… let's just say, embrace the digital detox! It’s… patchy. Sometimes great, sometimes… not so much. I actually *loved* the Wi-Fi struggles. Forced me to put the phone down, look up, and actually *be* where I was. Read a book, chatted with the incredibly charming barman about football (soccer, for you Americans), and generally enjoyed the peace. So, yes, Wi-Fi exists. But consider it a bonus, not a necessity. And, believe me, you won’t miss it.
What about activities? What is *actually* there to DO in Serowe?
Okay, this is where Sahara Stones REALLY shines. They can organize all sorts of things. Go on a game drive! Get a driver! Explore the historic sites! Serowe has the Khama III Memorial Museum. You can see the royal burial grounds. But one of the highlights? The tours! The guides are locals and they have extensive knowledge about Serowe. The staff will help you set up activities, but it’s best to book in advance. Trust me, make time for the Chief's grave. And the landscape! I took a guided walk through the surrounding hills. I was speechless! The views, the air… wow. Serowe is not just a place to *see*, but a place to *experience*. My advice? Just… go with the flow. Talk. Laugh. Just *be*. You’ll find your magic, I promise.
Tell me about that trip I've seen on your Instagram, the one near the pool...
Ok... you mean the one with the *blurry* sunset and the suspiciously empty pool? Ahem. Well… let's just say the pool is lovely, but it's more for looking at than swimming in (trust me, I tried). I spent an afternoon there with a gin and tonic (the perfect temperature, by the way), watching the sun go down. Initially, I was a bit bummed the pool wasn't as pristine as I’d imagined. There were a few… stray leaves. But then, I realised: who cares? The view was incredible. The air was clean. I was completely, utterly *relaxed*. I’d actually been having a bit of a rough time before the trip, and that moment, just sitting there, feeling the warmth on my skin… it was pure bliss. So, yes, the pool is fine, and yes, the experience was even better than the slightly filtered Instagram shot. Don’t go expecting a splashy water park. Go expecting peace, quiet, and a chance to reconnect with yourself.
How do I get there? Is it a nightmare?
Getting there is relatively easy. You'll want to fly into Gaborone (GBE, Botswana's capital!). From there... you can do a few things. You can hire a private transfer (quickest, fanciest), a rented car (adventurous, but roads are *mostly* fine), or, if you’re feeling super adventurous… hire a local taxi (which is what I did, let me tell you!). The roads are okay. There were a few potholes here and there which I nearly died from but overall? You'll make it. The drive is gorgeous though, so enjoy the scenery. Just prepare yourself for a slightly longer journey than you might think. But trust me, the anticipation makes the reward so much sweeter.
Overall, would you go again? Any warnings?
Would I go again? In a heartbeat. I'm already daydreaming about it. Sahara Stones isn't perfect. It's a world away from commercialized tourism. Just to say, I love how raw the experience is. Just be prepared to be impressed by the sheer unpretentiousness. Embrace the "African pace". Don't expect everything to run like clockwork. But do expect kindness, stunning landscapes,Find Your Perfect Stay

