Calais: France's Hidden Gem? (You WON'T Believe This!)
Calais: France's Hidden Gem? (You WON'T Believe This!) - My Honest, Messy, and Slightly Rambling Take
Okay, folks. Calais. France. The place you maybe think you know. Ferry port, alright? Channel Tunnel gateway, sure. BUT… a "Hidden Gem"? That's what people are saying, and frankly, I was skeptical. I mean, I've done the ferry thing a million times, and "charming" wasn't exactly the word that came to mind. BUT, I'm here to tell you, after a recent… ahem… "investigation," I've got some thoughts. And they're way more complicated than I expected.
Spoiler Alert: This isn't your glossy brochure review. This is the raw, unfiltered truth.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Honestly.
Calais, in general, seems trying. The roads are decent. The hotel, though? Well… let's dive into specifics later.
- Wheelchair Accessible: This is where things get messy. Some areas of the hotel are genuinely accessible. Ramps here, wide corridors there. Some restaurants too! (And the city is, like, trying to be good here, but with the French, you never know.) Other areas? Um, let's just say I saw some questionable 'attempts' at accessibility. I'll be upfront: check the specific details for your needs before you book. Don't just assume.
- Getting Around: Okay, getting around is pretty much the same.
- On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges: I'll be honest, that was a mixed bag – some worked, some made me question if they actually knew the definition of "accessible."
The Wi-Fi Saga: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Thank God)
Okay, this is a big one for me. I NEED Wi-Fi. I was working, and the thought of being cut off from the world? Nightmare fuel.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! Praise be! It saved my sanity (more on that later). And the signal was actually decent.
- Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services: All available! They haven’t skipped any of the categories.
- Wi-Fi in public areas: Also present. Because, hey, sometimes you just need to be social!
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: A Surprisingly Broad Palette
This is where Calais surprised me. I expected… well, nothing. But there was actually stuff! Let’s break it down:
- Spa/sauna: Yep, they have both! I didn't use them (time constraints, mostly), but the pictures looked promising. Lots of promises.
- Sauna, Steam room: In case I was feeling decadent.
- Swimming pool: A proper one! I saw people actually enjoying it. I love this more than words can say.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Okay, I am in.
- Gym/fitness: A decent one. I didn't touch it, but I thought about it.
- Massage: Available. Very tempting, and I almost splurged, but never went forward.
- Cleanliness and Safety: The New Normal (Mostly Good)
Alright, let's talk about the elephant in the room. COVID. I'm a worrier, right? So how did the hotel measure up?
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification: Good signs! Good.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Definitely. They were careful.
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Not sure if that's what happened, but I didn't get sick.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: This is a relief!
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere. I never felt unsafe.
- Safe dining setup: I am happy about this.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Worth the calories?
Okay, here's where things really get interesting. Because, let's face it, France is about the food, right?
- Restaurants: The hotel had several! I think… maybe… I lost count.
- A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant: Variety! Though I'm not sure about the quality.
- Bar: Oh yes. And a decent cocktail menu. I may or may not have sampled extensively.
- Happy hour: Because, France.
- Poolside bar: I spent a shameful amount of time there. No regrets.
- Breakfast [buffet]: The most important meal of the day. It was… alright. Not life-changing. But they did have…croissants. (See below.)
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Excellent.
- Room service [24-hour]: Bless. And the food was surprisingly good.
The Croissant Incident (A Personal Anecdote That Probably Matters More Than Anything Else)
So, about that breakfast buffet. Picture this: I'm bleary-eyed, slightly hungover (the bar, you see…), and desperate for sustenance. And then… the croissants.
These were not your average, sad, pre-packaged pastries. These were… flaky, buttery, warm, and perfect croissants. Light as air. I'm not kidding, I ate five. Five croissants! I’ve never done that before. And then I went back for another. And a third. I am now more of a connoisseur of croissants. That's how good they were. THAT, my friends, is the true measure of a hotel's worth, at least to me anyway!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
- Air conditioning in public area: Thank god!
- Concierge: Available, helpful.
- Dry cleaning, Laundry service: Useful, though I didn't use them.
- Elevator: A must-have.
- Facilities for disabled guests: As I mentioned, check the specifics.
- Luggage storage: Convenient.
- Safety deposit boxes: Important for my valuable things.
- Daily housekeeping: The room was clean!
- Pets allowed unavailable: I wish they weren't, but whatever.
- Smoking area: The fact that there was one tells, what about the rest of the hotel!
For the Kids: Family-Friendly or Not?
- Babysitting service, Babysitting service: They’ve got facilities!
- Family/child friendly, Kids facilities: I don't have kids, so I can't say much.
Things to Note (and Why They Matter):
- The Exterior Corridor: I am not a fan of exterior corridors. I prefer rooms where it feels more private. But it's not a deal-breaker.
- Hotel Chain: It's a big chain hotel, which does sometimes, feel a little impersonal. But overall, I wouldn’t dismiss it.
- Non-smoking rooms: Great. Don't want any smoker!
- Soundproof rooms: They do block the noise.
- CCTV in common areas, Exterior/Interior: I am glad about this.
- Check-in/out [express]: I am even more glad about this!
- Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms: Good.
- Front desk [24-hour]: Amazing.
Available in all rooms!
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
The Verdict: Worth a Visit? (More Than You Think)
Look, Calais isn't Paris. It's not going to blow your mind with sheer beauty and history. But… for a pit stop, a weekend getaway, or a surprisingly pleasant escape from the usual tourist traps, I'd say yes.
My rating?
- For the croissants alone: 4 stars.
- For the overall experience: A solid 3.5 stars.
Final Thoughts: Is Calais a Hidden Gem?
Not necessarily hidden, but definitely a gem in the rough. It's got potential. The hotel? It's a good base to explore… or a place to hide with some good snacks.
**The "You Won
Luxury Living Awaits: Uncover Grand Polanco's Hidden Gem in Mexico City
Okay, strap in buttercups, because here's my chaotic, slightly-off-kilter, and deeply personal itinerary for a trip to Le Welcome in Calais, France. Forget smooth sailing, this is more like a dinghy in a category 3 hurricane, but hopefully, a fun one.
Le Welcome Calais: My "Almost-Perfect" Adventure (Let's Be Real, It Won't Be)
Day 1: Arrival - Where's My Goddamn Ferry?
7:00 AM (ish): Wake up, already feeling vaguely nauseous from the pre-trip excitement (or maybe it's just the dodgy coffee I made). Pack the last-minute essentials: extra socks (essential), a ridiculously oversized scarf (for dramatic effect), and a phrasebook I'll probably be too shy to use.
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: The drive to the ferry port (Dover, obviously). Okay, let's just say my navigation skills are… flexible. Ended up taking a scenic route through a roundabout approximately three times. Finally arrive, mildly frazzled, to the Ferry Terminal. Where's my goddamn ferry? Oh shit. It's delayed. Commence internal monologue of existential dread. This is how it starts, isn't it?
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Ferry eventually boards. Grab a coffee. And then another. And maybe a croissant. I'm not proud of how much I inhaled in that hour, but the sea air does things to a person.
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM: Channel Crossing. The ferry itself. Okay. I've seen better, but it does the job. I'm stuck next to a group who don't stop talking about their golf handicap the entire journey. Note to self: invest in noise-canceling headphones.
2:30 PM - 4:00 PM: Arrive in Calais! Finally. Breathe in the French air. It smells… vaguely of diesel fumes… but also of possibility. Drag my luggage toward the town, ignoring the persistent feeling that I packed entirely the wrong things. Where's the damn hotel?
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM Check into the hotel. The room is… functional. The bathroom? Let's just say I’m not sure if I can trust the shower head. The view? Over-looked building. And then the WIFI decided to not work.
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Wander into the old town of Calais. It's charming, actually. Definitely way better than my hotel. Start with a stroll to the famous Burghers of Calais sculpture. I stand there, marvelling at the weight of the statues. This is what freedom feels like, right?
8:00 PM - 9:30 PM: Dinner at a brasserie, somewhere with a decent rating. I order a steak frites. The steak looks great and tastes great! The frites, are perfect. I attempt to have a conversation using my broken French, and mumble through a sentence about how much I'm enjoying my meal. The waiter, bless his heart, acts like he understood. Score!
9:30 PM -…: Back to the hotel. I’m not sure how to feel. The day seemed to be a disaster, and the moment I had to myself, it all stopped and I have this feeling of content, and it's all I needed.
Day 2: Calais Uncovered (and Maybe a Little Lost)
- 8:00 AM: I’m craving French pastries. So, I venture out. The bakery is a revelation. Croissant, pain au chocolat… the sugar rush is immediate. I am alive.
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Trying to find the beach, which is supposed to be lovely. Turns out, I have terrible directional sense, and the town seems to have a weird fondness for roundabouts. Eventually, triumphant! Get to the beach! Walk. And there it is! The sea is a moody grey, waves crashing. I sit there for ages, watching the surf. It's surprisingly calming.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch at a beachside cafe. I try the local mussels, which are swimming in garlic butter. This may or may not be a good idea, considering my delicate stomach. I'm willing to take the risk. The mussels are divine, and I promptly get a butter-induced food coma. Worth it.
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: I decide to attempt some shopping. Calais has some charming boutiques, and it all smells amazing. I end up buying a scarf, because, you know, I need another one.
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: I have an idea! I will visit the City of Lace. (I have no idea how I missed this before.) I wander the town, lost again. But eventually, voila! It's amazing. I sit and stare, totally mesmerized.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM More aimless wandering, window shopping. I'd better start heading back to the hotel, I'm getting tired.
- 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM: Dinner, at a small bistro. This time I attempt to order, in French. I manage to mumble a passable sentence about the crème brûlée. The waiter, with a knowing smile, brings the crème brûlée. It's perfect. And oh- I can't believe, I'm at peace.
- 8:30 PM - … : Back to the hotel for a surprisingly good night's sleep.
Day 3: Departure - Adieu, Calais (Until Next Time, Maybe?)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. My body aches a little from all of the walking but my soul feels good. I have a final croissant and drink my coffee.
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Pack everything. I am going to attempt to fit everything, inside the bag. There are problems with the zipper, as I can't compress the bag. It is a disaster.
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Check out the hotel. Attempt to navigate my way out. Get lost, but eventually make it.
- 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Make my way to Calais.
- 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM: Ferry crossing. More sea air, and more golf-related conversations, but this time, I have headphones.
- 2:30 PM -…: The drive home. I arrive, feeling a strange mix of exhaustion and contentment. The trip to Calais was messy, sometimes annoying, chaotic and wonderful, all rolled into one. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
So, there you have it. My messy, human, and perhaps slightly mad, itinerary for Le Welcome in Calais. It might not be the picture-perfect vacation, but it's my vacation, and that's all that matters. Now, where's my next adventure…?
Goa's BEST Kept Secret: Luxury 2BHK Escape Awaits! (TripThrill)
Is Calais REALLY a "hidden gem?" Come on, be honest...
Okay, *fine*. "Hidden gem" is a STRETCH. It's more like... a slightly tarnished, slightly intriguing, slightly grumpy old pearl, that you might find interesting if you're not expecting diamonds. Let's just say, if my expectations were set by Instagram, I'd have been *devastated*. But, and this is a BIG but (and I cannot lie), there's something about Calais. It's… *real*. It’s seen things. It’s got stories. And sometimes, those stories are fascinating, and sometimes they involve pigeons...lots and lots of pigeons.
The Ferry Port – is it as soul-crushing as everyone says?
The ferry port... well, let's just say you'll either have a glorious, easy time (rare), or you'll feel like you're wading through molasses while everyone else breezes through. My *first* experience? A disaster. We were stuck in a queue, a *literal* queue, for three hours. In the rain. With a crying toddler. My husband, bless him, was trying to appease him with a half-eaten croissant he’d fished from the floor of the car. The air was thick with the smell of stale coffee and simmering road rage. Moral of the story? Pack snacks and snacks! Seriously, pack ALL the snacks. And a sense of humor. And maybe a therapist on speed dial.
What's the deal with the food? Is there *any* decent food?
Okay, here's where things get *interesting*. The French countryside is *right there*, so if you're willing to venture beyond the immediate port area (and you should!), you can actually find some *amazing* food. Forget the chain restaurants you see advertised on the highway. Seek out the local cafes, the little *boulangeries*, the family-run places. One time I found this tiny *crêperie* tucked away on a side street. Seriously, I'm talking no bigger than a garden shed. But the crepes? Oh. My. God. I swear, the *crêpe au complète* with ham, cheese, and egg, changed my life forever. (Okay, maybe not *forever*. But it was damn good). My advice? Get off the beaten track. Trust your gut. And ALWAYS order the bread. The bread is life.
Is Calais safe? I heard...things.
Look, I won't sugarcoat it. Calais hasn't always had the best reputation, particularly around the migrant crisis. I'd be lying if I said I didn't initially feel a bit uneasy. I mean, walking around a new city, you always are at some level, right? But the vast majority of people I encountered were just trying to get on with their lives, just like anywhere else. Just be aware of your surroundings, take the usual precautions, and absolutely don't go wandering around alone at 3 am. Honestly, that's good advice for ANYwhere, anytime. Ultimately though, I felt safe. But be sensible.
What about the beaches? Are they worth a visit?
The beaches…they're windswept. They're dramatic. They're usually pretty empty. And depending on the weather, they can be utterly breathtaking OR incredibly bleak. I went in November and the wind whipped across the sand like a vengeful spirit. I stood there, shivering, trying to take a picture and my fingers were numb. Still, there's a raw beauty to it. You can walk for miles. You can find some amazing shells. And you can get away from the hordes of tourists, which is *always* a plus. Honestly, that wind? It's character-building!
Tell me about the architecture! Is there anything interesting to see?
Okay, this one's a mixed bag. Calais, sadly, got hammered during the war. So, don’t expect Paris, you know? There's a lot of post-war utilitarianism. However, there are pockets of charm. The Town Hall is impressive. The Citadel is worth a look. And honestly? Sometimes the most interesting things are the *little* things. That unexpected architectural detail on a building. The way the light hits a particular street. The way the locals live their lives. Do a little digging, and you'll find something special.
What's the best thing about Calais, *really*?
Honestly? The people. Okay, I know it sounds cliché, but the people are what make Calais what it is. The crusty old fisherman who gives you a knowing wink, the woman in the bakery who greets you with a warm “Bonjour Madame,” even the slightly grumpy ferry worker who eventually cracks a smile. They've seen a lot. They've endured a lot. And they’re still there, going about their daily lives. That, to me, is incredibly inspiring. So, yeah. Don't expect perfection. Don't expect a fairytale. But go with an open mind, and you might just find something…real. And get ready for the pigeons... seriously, the pigeons.
Okay, let's say I *am* convinced. What's a MUST-SEE experience?
Right, let's say – *against my better judgement* – you've decided to go. I have one recommendation. Go to the "Cité de la Dentelle et de la Mode" (Lace and Fashion Museum). Now, hear me out. It sounds utterly boring, I know. Lace? Fashion? But seriously. This museum is unexpectedly brilliant. The history of lace-making in Calais is *fascinating*. The skill, the artistry, the sheer *dedication* that goes into this craft is just mind-blowing. I was totally mesmerized. And the fashion? Stunning. Genuinely stunning. I spent, like, *hours* there. And the best part? It was almost empty! So skip the crowds, avoid the tourist traps, and go get yourself schooled in the world of lace. You will be telling everyone about it, trust me.

