Gambia's Paradise Found: Tropic Garden Hotel Bakau Awaits!
Alright, buckle up, because we’re diving headfirst into the Tropic Garden Hotel in Bakau, Gambia. Forget polished travel brochures – this is going to be a rambling, honest, and hopefully hilarious account, warts and all. And yes, I'm gonna try to throw in some SEO keywords to keep the bots happy, but the goal here is real talk.
First Impressions: Paradise? Hmm… Let's Unpack That.
Okay, "Paradise Found" is a hefty promise, right? Bakau itself is… well, it's Gambia. It's vibrant, dusty, and not always what you expect. The Tropic Garden Hotel, nestled amongst the palms, definitely tries.
Accessibility - The First Hurdle (and It's a Big One): This is where things get a bit… challenging. Wheelchair accessible? Not really. While they claim to have Facilities for disabled guests, the overall vibe leans more towards “hope for the best.” Think uneven pathways, steps where you least expect them, and a general lack of thought for accessibility. This deserves a big, fat, 0/10 for accessibility. If mobility limitations are a concern, plan accordingly. Look into contacting the hotel directly beforehand, to confirm the accessibility situation.
Cleanliness and Safety - The New Normal: COVID times, baby! Let's see how they do.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good.
- Breakfast takeaway service: Good.
- Cashless payment service: Smart.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Trying!
- Doctor/nurse on call: Always a good sign, I'd imagine.
- First aid kit: Essential!
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere you look!
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Excellent.
- Hygiene certification: Not sure, honestly;
- Individually-wrapped food options: Expected.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Mostly, but sometimes you get a little too close for comfort.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Unsure.
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Not that I saw.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Hopefully!
- Safe dining setup: OK.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Seemed legit.
- Shared stationery removed: Phew.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: They tried, bless 'em.
- Sterilizing equipment: I assume.
- Overall - Good effort but not perfect -
This is where the hotel tries to make up for those accessibility shortcomings!
Rooms: Where You'll Actually Be Living
Okay, so let’s talk rooms. The good news? Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And it actually works! Praise be! And the Air conditioning is a godsend in the Gambia heat. Air conditioning is listed here on the list twice - but in a place like Gambia you can never mention it enough.
My room? Let's just say it had character. Air conditioning, Mini bar, Coffee/tea maker, Bathroom phone (who even uses those anymore?), Safe box, Refrigerator, Hair dryer, and a window that opens. The bed was comfy, thankfully. The Daily housekeeping team were lovely, even if they sometimes forgot things (like, say, towels… but hey, at least the Free bottled water kept flowing). And let's mention the Blackout curtains. Crucial for beating the sun!
In-room imperfections. A slight leak in the shower. The occasional gecko making an appearance. Honestly, it all adds to the charm – or at least, it does after a couple of days.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking:
Right, this is important. You're in Gambia – you need to eat! The Restaurants are decent, and the Poolside bar is a must for sundowners. A Breakfast [buffet] is there! The Breakfast [buffet] – well, it’s the usual mix of Breakfast in room, but available as a Buffet in restaurant… bread, fruit, and something vaguely resembling eggs. The Asian breakfast was a nice touch. My personal highlight? The freshly squeezed juice. Seriously, that was liquid gold. The Coffee/tea in restaurant situation was also acceptable, though the coffee wasn't my usual forte.
- A la carte in restaurant
- Alternative meal arrangement
- Asian cuisine in restaurant
- Bar – Yes, and a decent one!
- Bottle of water – Always, thankfully.
- Desserts in restaurant – Not a huge selection, but they tried.
- Happy hour – Always a winner!
- International cuisine in restaurant – A good mix of options.
- Poolside bar – Essential.
- Salad in restaurant – Fresh and welcome.
- Snack bar – Convenient, for the inevitable munchies.
- Soup in restaurant – Haven't tried the soup, unfortunately.
- Vegetarian restaurant – Limited options, but available.
- Western breakfast – Standard fare.
- Western cuisine in restaurant – A good selection, really.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax – Or Try To
This is where the "Paradise Found" starts to sound more promising.
- Body scrub: Tried it. Very relaxing.
- Body wrap: Tempted, but didn’t go for it.
- Fitness center: Tiny, but functional.
- Foot bath: Lovely after a day of walking.
- Gym/fitness: As above, tiny.
- Massage: Heavenly. Absolutely heavenly.
- Pool with view: The view is of the pool, but it's pleasant enough.
- Sauna: Didn’t try it, but it was there!
- Spa: Decent.
- Spa/sauna: As above.
- Steamroom: Didn’t try it, but there.
- Swimming pool: The big selling point. Clean, refreshing, and a lifesaver in the heat.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Yup.
- And the Swimming pool [outdoor], is honestly, the best feature. The real highlight of the stay.
Services and Conveniences - The Everyday Stuff
- Air conditioning in public area– Good.
- Audio-visual equipment for special events – Dunno.
- Business facilities – Not my area.
- Cash withdrawal– Check.
- Concierge– Helpful, but not always available.
- Contactless check-in/out - A plus for the current times.
- Convenience store - Handy for essentials.
- Currency exchange: Yes, good to have.
- Daily housekeeping: Excellent, with the occasional hiccup.
- Doorman – There.
- Dry cleaning – Available.
- Elevator – There's an elevator, even if… a little shaky.
- Essential condiments – You'll find them.
- Facilities for disabled guests – As mentioned… limited.
- Food delivery – Available.
- Gift/souvenir shop – It's there.
- Indoor venue for special events – Likely.
- Invoice provided – Yes.
- Ironing service – Yes.
- Laundry service – Yes.
- Luggage storage – Yup.
- Meeting/banquet facilities – Probably.
- Meetings – If you must.
- Meeting stationery – Again, if you must.
- On-site event hosting – Maybe.
- Outdoor venue for special events – Looks like it.
- Projector/LED display – Doubt it.
- Safety deposit boxes – Yes.
- Seminars – Nope.
- Shrine – No.
- Smoking area – Yes.
- Terrace – Lovely for drinks.
- Wi-Fi for special events – Probably.
- Xerox/fax in business center – If you're into that.
For the Kids…
- Babysitting service – I didn't see any kids, so I cant say more.
- Family/child friendly – Seems like it's trying.
- Kids facilities – Unsure.
- Kids meal – Probably.
Getting Around – The Adventure Begins:
- Airport transfer – Essential!
- Bicycle parking – Never noticed.
- Car park [free of charge] – Yes!
- Car park [on-site] – Yes!
- Car power charging station – Unlikely.
- Taxi service – Readily available.

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly polished travel brochure. We're heading to the Tropic Garden Hotel in Bakau, Gambia, and it's going to be a wild ride. Don't expect a rigid Swiss clock; we're talking Gambia time, baby! And honestly? I’m already a tiny bit hungover from pre-trip excitement.
Tropic Garden Tango - A Slightly Unhinged Itinerary (Plus, Let's Be Real, Probably a Lot of Sitting By the Pool)
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Sand Flea Hunt (Probably)
- Morning (ish): Departing from…well, wherever the hell I'm coming from (it involves a long flight and a prayer). Expect multiple airport coffees. Praying for a window seat, but knowing my luck, I'll get squished next to a snorer.
- Afternoon: LANDING! Landing in Banjul. Okay, deep breaths. Passport, check. Visas, check (hopefully). The air already feels different – warm, thick, carrying the promise of adventure and, let's be honest, probably some serious humidity I'm not prepared for. Transfer to Tropic Garden. Hoping the taxi doesn't break down. (I always pick the rusty ones.)
- Arrival at Tropic Garden: Right, let's find this oasis. Check-in. Praying the room is clean. Praying it has air conditioning. Praying, generally.
- Late Afternoon: MUST find the bar. Like, immediately. Mandatory first-day-in-Africa beer is happening. Seriously. A cold Julbrew (or ten) is a necessity for acclimatisation. Let's get a lay of the land, suss out the pool situation (essential!), and mentally prepare for the sand flea onslaught. This is where things get slightly unhinged because I've heard the sand fleas are vicious. Will I be bitten? Will I be able to stop scratching? Will I develop an irrational hatred for the sand? Tune in to find out!
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel restaurant (probably). Trying to be adventurous with the food, but let’s be honest, I'm a sucker for something familiar after a long day. Maybe some grilled fish? Maybe some kind of stew, hoping it won't be too spicy.
- Bedtime: Crash. Hard. Jet lag is going to hit me like a brick of salt.
Day 2: Beach Bumming and… The Monkey Business (Literally?)
- Morning: Wake up (hopefully). Sunscreen application is crucial. Beach time! The beautiful beach. I'm picturing swaying palm trees, turquoise water, and me, sprawled luxuriously on a sun lounger, a cocktail permanently attached to my hand. Reality? Probably a frantic search for a decent spot before the hordes descend.
- Late Morning: Explore the beach. Get harassed by the local vendors, probably. Try to haggle – I am terrible at bargaining. Definitely buy something I don't need. Feel slightly guilty.
- Lunch: Beachside restaurant, maybe. Seafood. More beer. Repeat.
- Afternoon: The Monkey Encounter! Okay, so from what I've read, there are monkeys. Apparently, they are cheeky. I am slightly terrified of monkeys. This is where things could become either hilarious or very, very panicked. There are monkeys, and I, am I prepared? Nope.
- Evening: Dinner downtown. Maybe some music. Maybe some dancing. Maybe I'll try to learn a local phrase, butcher it, and then awkwardly apologize to the entire restaurant.
- Night: Get a good night's sleep, I pray, because tomorrow is going to be a day trip.
Day 3: A Day Trip, Plus The Unexpected
- Morning: Getting up to start the day. Getting a bit of culture in and maybe the local market. Gotta find some cool souvenirs without getting totally ripped off (mission impossible?).
- Afternoon: The Unexpected. This is where the itinerary is, naturally, a total disaster.
- Evening: Reflecting on the day.
- Night: Dinner and drinks somewhere, feeling accomplished.
Day 4: Relaxation
- Morning: Relaxing at the hotel.
- Afternoon: More Relaxation.
- Evening: Dinner.
Day 5: Bakau Mystique and Last-Minute Panic
- Morning: Exploring Bakau further. The area holds some mystique; might visit the Kachikally Crocodile Pool.
- Afternoon: Last-Minute panic-buying.
- Evening: "One last supper" type dinner, hopefully, with a view.
Day 6: The Farewell (and the Post-Trip Blues)
- Morning: Final dip in the pool, if I haven’t already become a permanent fixture (and resident sand flea buffet). Last-minute packing. Remembering all the things I forgot to buy.
- Afternoon: Transfer to the airport. Dealing with the existential dread of leaving paradise and returning to Reality. The flight. More airport coffee.
- Evening: LANDING (again!). Greeted by a cold, damp, probably grey sky. Commence the post-holiday depression. Start planning the next trip.
Things to Note (Because I Probably Won't Remember Them):
- Sunscreen: Bring a truckload.
- Mosquito Repellent: Seriously, pack the industrial-strength stuff.
- Adaptor: Because, power.
- An Open Mind: Embrace the chaos!
- My Camera: Taking a lot of photos, even just for myself.
- My Sense of Humor: Essential for surviving the inevitable mishaps.
- My Bank Account: I'll probably overspend. I always do.
- My Stomach: Praying it survives.
This is going to be an experience. A messy, imperfect, potentially hilarious experience. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Wish me luck (and maybe send some extra sunscreen).
Rurikoh Kaga: Japan's Hidden Gem You NEED to Discover!
Gambia's Paradise Found: Tropic Garden Hotel Bakau Awaits! - Your Unofficial, Unfiltered Guide
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I've just returned from the Tropic Garden (or what I'm now calling "The Emerald Island of Bakau", because, drama) and you NEED the real deal. Not the glossy brochures. Forget the PR fluff. You want truth, right? You came to the right place.
Here's my attempt at answering all those burning questions – with bonus rants and possibly questionable advice.
1. Is the Tropic Garden Hotel actually… paradise? (Don't lie to me!)
Paradise? Ha! Look, it’s Gambia. Paradise implies perfectly manicured everything. This is more… "charmingly flawed." Think: gorgeous swimming pool (seriously, breathtaking), a little bit of a jungle vibe, and the occasional power outage that’ll REALLY make you appreciate that chilled Julbrew. (Which, by the way, is the real paradise.)
I'd say yes, *depending* on what you're after. If you crave sterile perfection, go elsewhere. If you crave relaxation, adventure, and a healthy dose of "this is Africa!", then YES. Paradise *adjacent*.
I’ll never forget seeing this absolutely enormous spider (I’m talking, the size of my *hand*) chilling on the wall of my bungalow. Scared the bejeezus out of me. But honestly? After the initial heart attack, it was kinda… badass. Just another part of the experience, you know?
2. What are the rooms *really* like? (Is it clean?!)
Okay, the rooms. This is where the "charmingly flawed" part *really* kicks in. My bungalow was lovely, seriously. Huge, with a little veranda looking out onto… well, more nature. Lots of nature. So much nature that I was pretty sure I heard a monkey snickering at me through my window once.
Was it absolutely spotless? No. Let's be real. But was it clean enough to be comfortable? Absolutely. I'm not a germaphobe (okay, maybe a LITTLE), and I survived. (Actually, I thrived. This place got me in a chill mood I had only dreamt of)
The air-con? Spotty. The shower pressure? Variable. The hot water? Well, let’s just say cold showers are character building. But honestly, the quirks are part of the fun. And if you are a picky person, good luck, you might be in trouble.
3. The Food – Is it worth it? Did you get… the dreaded?
The food. Oh, the food. Let's start with... I didn't get "the dreaded". But I took my probiotics, kids. Don't be a hero.
The food at the hotel restaurant was… decent. Nothing gourmet, but perfectly edible. There was a good mix of Gambian dishes (benachin – yum!) and international fare. The breakfast buffet was a lifesaver. You need that fuel for… everything! And honestly the staff where super attentive.
However, I spent a lot of time exploring the local restaurants. That's where the *real* culinary magic happens. Trust me on this one. Get out there, ask the locals for recommendations, and experience some food I’ll never experience again. (In the best way possible, even though my stomach was telling me otherwise the next day).
4. What's the pool like? Is it actually as gorgeous as the photos?
The pool… okay, yeah, the pool is the reason I'm still dreaming of the Tropic Garden. It IS gorgeous. Seriously. Picture it: crystal-clear water, surrounded by lush greenery, the sun beating down, and you, blissfully floating. (Mostly blissfully, unless a rogue insect decides to join you.)
It's where I spent a *huge* chunk of my time. Reading, swimming, sipping cocktails… pure, unadulterated relaxation. My biggest regret? Not spending *even more* time by that pool. I’m talking, maybe I should have pitched a tent and just moved my whole life to the poolside.
5. Is it family-friendly? (Do I have to apologize for my kids?)
Um, yes. More or less. I saw lots of families there. Now, I don’t *have* kids, so I can't speak to the, let's say, *logistics* of traveling with them. But there seemed to be plenty of space for them to run around, a safe and friendly environment, and the pool is definitely kid-friendly.
The staff are also amazing with children. The Gambian people are just naturally welcoming. You’re not going to feel like you need to apologize for your kids. (Unless, of course, they’re terrorizing the other guests with water balloons. Then, yeah, maybe apologize.)
6. What about the location? Is it walkable to anything interesting?
The location is pretty good! You’re close to Bakau, and a short taxi ride from Serrekunda (a bit more hectic, but worth a visit). The beach is a quick walk away, and it's beautiful.
You’re not in the middle of nowhere, but you’re also not right in the chaos. It's a perfect balance. And please, make sure you go and see the Crocodile Pool! Don't be scared, it's a cultural experience unlike any other.
7. How are the staff? (Are they friendly?)
The staff… are the heart and soul of the Tropic Garden. They were beyond friendly. They are SO warm and welcoming. They genuinely seemed to care about making your stay enjoyable.
I’m terrible with names (sorry, everyone!), but I’ll never forget the way the barman always remembered my Julbrew order. Or how the cleaning staff always left little flowers on my bed. It really made the experience – and made me feel like I was part of their little paradise.
8. Okay, spill the tea. What's the *worst* thing about the Tropic Garden?
The mosquitos! Pack the bug spray, people. Seriously. It’s not just a suggestion, it’s a survival tactic. I got *eaten* alive.Luxury Stay Blog

