Riverstone House: Geraldine's Most Stunning Luxury Escape (NZ)
Oh. My. God. Riverstone House: Geraldine's Gem! (Or, My Brain's Still in Spa-Mode)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I just got back from Riverstone House in Geraldine, New Zealand, and my brain is still…well, let's just say it's vibrating with a level of zen I didn't know existed. This isn't just a hotel, folks, it's an experience. And frankly, I'm still processing it all. Let's break this down, shall we? (Deep breath…)
First Impressions & Accessibility: The Good Stuff (and a tiny stumble…)
Driving up felt like entering a glossy magazine spread. The architecture? Jaw-dropping. And the surrounding landscape? Seriously, Instagram needs a "jaw-dropping" filter because whoa. Okay, let's talk logistics first, because you know, reality:
- Accessibility: Good news and some tiny bumps. Riverstone House is trying, and that's HUGE. They boast "Facilities for disabled guests" which is a massive plus. I'm not personally disabled, so I can't speak to the specifics of the accessibility of the rooms, but the public areas seemed genuinely welcoming. The elevator is a lifesaver, obviously (thank you for that!), and the exterior corridors are, well, exterior! Just be aware the grounds are, naturally, a bit hilly.
- Getting Around: Car park [free of charge]: YES! AND if you're EV-inclined (like the cool kids!), there's a Car power charging station! Bonus points. Airport transfer is available, which is handy.
Cleanliness & Safety: Sanitized Sanity (in a Pandemic World)
Look, let's be real. We're living in a world where "sanitized" is the new "hallelujah." And Riverstone House gets it.
- Hygiene certification: Check.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Double-check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Triple-check! They even gave you the Room sanitization opt-out available. (Honestly, though? I wouldn't!)
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Peace of mind, much?
- Hand sanitizer, everywhere!
- Staff trained in safety protocol: They clearly are – felt safe, not like I was being watched suspiciously.
- Cashless payment service: Easy peasy.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. Nailed it.
- Safe dining setup: Absolutely.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Of course!
Rooms: Luxury You Can Sink Into (and Maybe Never Leave)
Alright, let's talk ROOMS. Prepare to drool.
- Available in all rooms: Honestly, the complete package. Let's run through the basics and how they're done…
- Air conditioning: Needed, appreciated, and WORKS.
- Alarm clock: I'm a phone alarm person, but a nice touch for the old souls.
- Bathrobes: YES! That bathrobe life is real life.
- Bathroom phone: Okay, that was a little "Old Money" but hilarious.
- Bathtub: A glorious, soaking-into-the-walls bathtub. Heaven.
- Blackout curtains: Crucial for sleep.
- Closet: Spacious enough to unpack all your crap.
- Coffee/tea maker: Essential.
- Complimentary tea: Always a winner.
- Daily housekeeping: Your room is magically pristine by the time you get back.
- Desk: Actual workspace! (If you must work… which I, thankfully, didn't).
- Extra long bed: I'm tall-ish, and I had PLENTY of room.
- Free bottled water: Hydration is key, people.
- Hair dryer: Powerful, because hotel hair dryers are usually awful.
- High floor: I loved my view!
- In-room safe box: Always needed.
- Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Wi-Fi [free], Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!: All covered, and it worked. Never had an issue streaming or working (shudder).
- Ironing facilities: If you're into that, I'm not judging.
- Laptop workspace: Perfect for… well, maybe not working, but binge-watching.
- Linens: Luxurious!
- Mini bar: The good stuff, I swear.
- Mirror: So many mirrors. Perfect.
- Non-smoking: YES!
- On-demand movies: Nice touch.
- Private bathroom: Obviously.
- Reading light: Very important.
- Refrigerator: To keep your bubbles cold!
- Safety/security feature, Smoke detector: Good, and safe.
- Satellite/cable channels: Perfect for a wind down the night.
- Scale: whispers I didn't look.
- Seating area: Comfy and designed for maximum relaxation.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Luxury.
- Shower: Plenty powerful.
- Slippers, Towels, Toiletries: Great.
- Umbrella: NZ, so… yes, please.
- Wake-up service: They rang me on time.
- Window that opens: Air. Fresh. Air.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Stomach's Still Smiling
Okay, let's cut to the chase: the food. AMAZING. Just… amazing.
- Restaurants: Plural! (I'm almost drooling.)
- A la carte in restaurant: Yes, thank goodness.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: They have delicious Asian options (for a change of pace.)
- Bar: Cocktails, wine, the works.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Amazing as always.
- Breakfast service: YES.
- Buffet in restaurant: Always a big win.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: They get it.
- Desserts in restaurant: Oh, the desserts.
- Happy hour: Score!
- International cuisine in restaurant: Variety is the spice of life, right?
- Poolside bar: Pure bliss.
- Room service [24-hour]: Because sometimes you just want to eat in your bathrobe.
- Salad in restaurant: Healthy options are there!
- Snack bar: Great for little bits.
- Soup in restaurant: Comfort food, yay!
- Vegetarian restaurant: Vegan friendly too!
- Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Everything you could want!
- Alternative meal arrangement: Always available!
- Bottle of water: Always a winner.
- Coffee shop: For the morning.
- Individually-wrapped food options: In case you want to eat like a king,
- Safe dining setup: Everything is designed to keep you a happy and well-fed person.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Where the Magic Happens (and My Stress Melted)
Right. This is where Riverstone House truly shines. Be prepared for blissful overload.
- Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage: Seriously. I'm still experiencing a post-spa glow. The spa itself is an experience.
- Fitness center, Gym/fitness: If you're that kind of person… You know.
- Pool with view, Swimming pool [outdoor]: Stunning. I spent an embarrassing amount of time just floating and staring at the scenery.
- Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Perfect for unwinding.
- Terrace: Great for a drink.
The Verdict? GO. NOW.
Okay, so I've rambled a bit (sorry, not sorry!). But seriously, Riverstone House is worth every penny. It's a luxurious escape, a place to recharge, and a memory you'll treasure. Is it perfect? Maybe not 100% (nothing ever is!), but they are clearly trying.
Here's my honest take:
- The "Must-Do": The spa. Book a massage. Get the full experience. You won't regret it. Trust me.
- Accessibility notes: Double-check with the hotel directly if accessibility is a critical requirement, but they're on the right track.
- Overall: A five-star experience with a heart.
SEO Keywords: Riverstone House, Geraldine, New Zealand, luxury hotel, spa, accessibility, accommodation, South Island, things to do, relax, massage, pool
Kasar Devi's Hidden Gem: Uncover The Hosteller's Magic (Almora, India)
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is the Riverstone House Geraldine: Embrace the Chaos Edition. We're heading to New Zealand, folks, and frankly, I'm already half-expecting to lose my phone in a sheep pasture. Let's do this…
Day 1: Arrival and… Oh. The. View.
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at Christchurch Airport (CHC). Okay, so far, so good. Baggage claim… ugh. I swear, the conveyor belt moves slower than I do on a Monday morning. But hey, got my luggage, miraculously.
- 2:30 PM: Pick up the rental car: a trusty (hopefully) Subaru Forester from Budget. I’m usually a terrible parker. Pray for Geraldine.
- 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM: Drive to Geraldine. The drive. Oh. My. God. The Canterbury Plains stretched out before me, a vast tapestry of green and gold. I actually gasped. Seriously. The Southern Alps, still snow-capped, were just… there. Majestic. I may have pulled over the car three times purely to just… stare. (Don't tell Budget).
- 4:30 PM – 5:00 PM: Arrive at Riverstone House. I'm fairly certain my jaw actually dropped. Pictures don’t do this place justice. It's got that old-world charm that drips with history… and maybe a few ghosts. (I hope not! I'm easily spooked, and I'm pretty sure my inner child is still afraid of the dark).
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Settle in, Unpack. (I always overpack. Seriously. I brought three pairs of walking boots. For what? I'm not planning on summiting Everest). Check out the room (gorgeous, obviously, with a bed big enough to house a small family). Attempt to make friends with the resident cat. Failure. Cat gives me a look of utter disdain. Fair enough, I suppose.
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Evening stroll, explore the gardens. I got lost. Twice. The place is huge! Found the little river, though. Very peaceful. Tried to take a picture, accidentally dropped my phone in. Well, damn. Thank god for waterproof cases!
- 7:30 PM: Dinner at the Riverstone House. (Hopefully, I'll be more graceful with the silverware than I was with my phone.)
- Okay, so, dinner was… memorable. I’m a sucker for a good lamb rack, and OH MY GOD. The chef at Riverstone House is a wizard. The lamb melted in my mouth, the wine flowed freely (perhaps a little too freely…), and the conversation with the other guests was delightful. One couple was celebrating their 30th anniversary, and I swear, they were still as gooey-eyed as teenagers. Gave me a momentary pang of longing. Then I remembered I’m terrible at relationships, and it passed.
Day 2: Geraldine Adventures (and Sheep Encounters)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up to the sound of… nothing. Pure bliss.
- 8:30 AM: Breakfast at Riverstone House. More deliciousness. I’m starting to think I’m going to need to buy a whole new wardrobe when I get home. I'm just a person who loves food!
- 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM: Exploring Geraldine. Hit the Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum. I'm not even that into cars, but damn, that place is cool. The machinery section, though? Mind-blowing. These people were ingenious.
- Anecdote: I tried to start a vintage tractor. I failed miserably. It belched out smoke and a grumpy-looking fellow came over, gave me a look that could curdle milk, and showed me how to do it. Turns out, I was doing everything completely wrong. Humbling.
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Lunch at a local cafe (The Running Duck, I think? Something with a bird in the name.). Great coffee. Perfect sandwich.
- 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM: The famous Geraldine Cheese Shop and Merino Shop. Cheese. So much glorious, stinky, delicious cheese. I bought enough for a small army. (And some for myself, obviously). Stumbled into the Merino Shop and now own a sweater that probably cost more than my car. (Worth it, though. Seriously, the softest thing I've ever felt.)
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Sheep Encounter. Okay, so this wasn’t exactly planned. I was driving down a country lane, admiring (again) the utterly breathtaking scenery, when I came across a field of sheep. And, well, I may have parked the car, hopped the fence, and…gone to say hello.
- Quirky Observation: Sheep are surprisingly judgmental. They gave me the same look the resident cat gave me. I think I'll stick to admiring them from afar from now on.
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Back to Riverstone House. Maybe I'll drink a glass of wine and write in my journal, reflect on the day. (Highly unlikely, I'll probably just eat more cheese and stare at the mountains).
- 7:30 PM: Dinner at the Riverstone House (again!)
Day 3: Riverstone House Immersion & the road to… somewhere?
- 8:00 AM: Sleeping in. Seriously!
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at Riverstone House, savoring the last of the food.
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Explore the grounds of Riverstone, including a visit to the "secret garden".
- 11:00 AM - 13:00 PM: A casual art class at Riverstone- learn to paint the mountains I've fallen in love with!
- 14:00 PM: Lunch at Riverstone House - One last incredible meal.
- 15:00 PM: Check out of the hotel. Reluctantly.
- 15:30 PM: Road trip! Where to? Haven't decided yet. Maybe Lake Tekapo? Queenstown? (Gasp!) I'll figure it out as I go. That’s the beauty of being unplanned, right?
- End of itinerary (for now!)
Overall Impression: Geraldine and Riverstone House… wow. Just… wow. This place has a way of worming its way into your soul. The beauty, the peace, the food, the sheer unadulterated beauty… I feel like a slightly better, slightly less stressed version of myself. (And I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to buy a bigger suitcase). This has been a trip of absolute perfection. Until the next hiccup, that is.
Uncover Nagasaki's Hidden Gem: Togitsu Yasuda Ocean Hotel Awaits!
Riverstone House: My (Mostly) Glorious Geraldine Overload - FAQ!
Okay, seriously, is Riverstone House *really* worth the hype? I mean, those photos... they look... unreal.
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because the answer is... it depends. Look, the photos? They're *stunning*. They're designed to make your jaw drop, and, okay, mine did. The reality? Well, it's even more... intense. It's like walking into a movie set, but the set is actually a ridiculously beautiful old house. Yes, it's worth it, *if* you're prepared for a level of luxury that might make you feel a little… under-dressed, initially. (Seriously, I brought jeans. Jeans! That's my level of sophistication.) I’d say, worth it if you’re celebrating something big, like surviving a global pandemic. Or, y'know, just wanting to feel fancy for a week. Just remember to pack something other than jeans, trust me.
The food! I saw some mentions of gourmet meals. Spill the tea - was it as divine as it sounds? I'm a foodie, and this is crucial.
Oh. My. Word. The food. Okay, picture this: you’re wandering around this gigantic kitchen, feeling slightly intimidated by all the gleaming appliances, and then the smell hits you. *Heaven*. The chef, bless his soul, was a culinary genius. He made this lamb dish – I'm still dreaming about it. Flavour explosions, textures you wouldn't believe. So yes, the food. It was... transcendental. I ate so much, I think I gained five kilos. (Worth it. Absolutely worth it.) The *only* slight hiccup? I'm pretty clumsy, and I almost spilled red wine *all* over the cream-colored tablecloth, the *second* night. The shame… it still lingers. Thank goodness the cleaner was amazing. I mean, *amazing*.
What activities are there to do? Are you stuck at the house the whole time?
No, you don't *have* to be a hermit in your palatial prison (haha). Geraldine itself is lovely. Think charming shops, art galleries, cafes… I actually *loved* wandering around, feeling like a character in cozy mystery. You can go hiking nearby, there are gardens to explore, and of course, you can just… chill. I think the most active I got was lounging by the (gorgeous) pool, occasionally attempting to read a book (the sun was too distracting, honestly). Oh! And there's a croquet set. I, ahem, may or may not have taken down my partner. Accidentally, of course. Let's just say my competitive spirit is… alive and well. The house itself is a draw, but going out to town is a good idea!
Okay, the staff. Are they… pretentious? Do you feel like you have to be 'posh' around them?
This was my *biggest* fear. I mean, me? In a luxury house? I was terrified of feeling out of place. But honestly? The staff were *fantastic*. Warm, friendly, and utterly professional. They were discreet, but also really, genuinely nice. I remember one evening, I was wrestling (badly) with the (fancy!) coffee machine, and the housekeeper, bless her heart, saw my struggle and came over to help. She didn't make me feel like an idiot (much). She just quietly showed me the ropes, and then chuckled. Their presence made the whole experience wonderful. And made me not feel like a total country bumpkin, which was a huge relief.
Any downsides at all? Be honest!
Okay, okay, the truth! There were a few, VERY small, tiny, itsy bitsy niggles. Firstly, the sheer size of the place can be… overwhelming. I got lost more than once. It's like a maze, but a super fancy, beautifully decorated maze. Secondly, one of the bathrooms—the *magnificant* one, mind you—had a slightly temperamental shower head. It sprayed sideways a little, initially. Nothing major, but it did involve a startled yelp or two. And thirdly… well, it's expensive. It *is* a splurge. But look, if you can swing it? Do it. Just... maybe learn how to use a coffee machine beforehand.
What was your absolute *favorite* thing about Riverstone House?
Oh, this is a tough one! The food was incredible, the staff were lovely, the house itself was utterly stunning… But if I *had* to pick? It's a tie! It was the *bathrooms*! I know, it sounds silly, but seriously. The bathrooms! Giant bathtubs, luxurious products, fluffy towels… It's a whole *experience*! I spent an hour in one tub with a glass of wine, surrounded by candles, feeling like I was living in a dream. And the ones in the suites are even better! Ok, *fine*, actually, can I cheat and say it's the *whole* thing? Okay, and the *bathrooms*. And yes, the food. Oh, and the view!
Is it kid-friendly? I have small children...
Hm. That's a tricky one, and it depends on *your* kids. Riverstone House is definitely a luxury escape, and it's full of delicate things. While the house *is* large and there is space to run around, if you're worried about little hands grabbing breakables – or little feet running wild – it might require a LOT of supervision. Honestly, it felt like it was made for romantic getaways or grown-up holidays. If you want a quiet escape with small children, I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you want a *family* holiday with the kids, maybe look elsewhere. Unless, of course, you’re prepared for the stress of constant supervision – then go for it! But I’d be worried about the (many!) breakable decorations. And the pristine paintwork!
Would you go back?
In a heartbeat. I'm already saving my pennies. I mean, the experience was just… wow. Yes, it's pricey. Yes, I am probably going to be paying off the credit card for a while, but every single moment was worth it. Seriously. Go. Just go! And tell me all about it. But pack something other than jeans, yeah?

