
Escape to Spookdraai: Agulhas's Most Haunted B&B?
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the haunted heart of South Africa: Escape to Spookdraai: Agulhas's Most Haunted B&B?! And let me tell you, folks, this isn't your grandma's cookie-cutter hotel review. This is the real deal, warts and all, because if you're looking for Agulhas accommodation with a twist, you've come to the right place. Let's just say, I came, I saw, and I may have felt a cold draft right down my spine…
First things first: Accessibility. Now, the website claims to have facilities for disabled guests. I've got no first-hand experience with that, but I always appreciate it when they're even trying to be inclusive. It's a good start. I didn't see any mention of wheelchair accessibility in the public areas or rooms, so call ahead to confirm the specifics if this is a must.
Cleanliness and Safety – This is where things get…interesting. Forget sterile perfection! Escape to Spookdraai says all the right things about hygiene: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment. Now, I don't know if it's the “haunted” thing, but everything felt reasonably clean, not clinically so. I saw the staff using anti-viral cleaning products, and my room felt…well, not squeaky clean, but certainly not dirty. I mean, come on – we're talking about a potentially haunted building! You've gotta accept a tiny bit of character. It's a big thumbs up to the fact that they had first aid kit, fire extinguisher, smoke alarms, and CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property. So your safety is definitely a priority.
Internet Access - Okay, let's talk Wi-Fi, because in the age of constant connectivity, this matters. The good news: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And not just that, but they also have Internet [LAN] for those old-school folks. The Wi-Fi was…patchy. Let's just say, if you need to live-stream a ghost-hunting expedition, you might be better off using your phone. Internet services are available. Wi-Fi in public areas works a bit better than in the rooms, so you can still get your fix of Instagram.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Oh boy. This is where Spookdraai truly shines, in a slightly…eccentric way. The A la carte in restaurant option is available offering Asian cuisine in restaurant, so you've got options. There's a Bar and a Poolside bar, so you can drown your fears (or perhaps summon some courage?) with a cocktail. I’m all for a cocktail before a night of haunting I'm not going to lie. They have Breakfast [buffet] and Western breakfast, so carb-loading is totally possible. I’m not sure if it was the buffet breakfast or my own nerves, but I really thought I tasted something… supernatural in those eggs. But the Coffee/tea in restaurant was good, I'll give them that, and there was a Bottle of water in my room. They even have Alternative meal arrangement option, something that I appreciated. They also have Happy hour, which is essential if you're trying to survive a night of ghost stories. And oh, the Restaurant! The food was pretty good and the views were out of this world.
Things to do, ways to relax: Okay, so, "relax" might be a relative term at a haunted B&B. They have a Spa which includes Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, and a Swimming pool. This is a nice setup if you are into that. There's even a Pool with view, which is fantastic! There's also a Fitness center, Gym/fitness so you can work off all those spooky calories.
For the kids: A Babysitting service! Maybe you need someone to watch the kids… while you investigate the shadows. Seriously, they have Family/child friendly options and Kids meal, which is great!
Services and conveniences: They offer a lot of services. Air conditioning in public area, Air conditioning, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center,
Available in all rooms: The rooms, bless their slightly creaky souls, are basically comfy. Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. The Additional toilet was a nice bonus. The Bathrobes were plush. The Blackout curtains were essential for sleeping after a night of ghost hunting.
Okay, now for the juicy bit… THE HAUNTING. I'm not going to lie. That's why you're really here, right? My room, tucked along an Exterior corridor, was quaint. I swear I heard someone whispering my name at 3 AM. The Room decorations were spooky (in a good way!), and the Non-smoking rooms were appreciated. They even included Non-smoking sign. There were also Soundproof rooms.
But the real action happened in the dining room. One evening, I was at the buffet in the restaurant, grabbing a plate of… something, when the chandelier above started gently swaying. No wind. No obvious reason. Just… swaying. A few other diners noticed and just… shrugged. As if this was normal.
That's the thing about Escape to Spookdraai. It's not just a B&B. It's an experience. It's not just about the physical comforts. It's about the atmosphere. The sense of… something… lurking just out of sight. That feeling that you're not quite alone. And if you're into that kind of thing, you've come to the right place.
My Unsolicited Advice:
- Book a room on the top floor. (Just to make sure you're really feeling those drafts.)
- Ask the staff for local ghost stories. They're full of them.
- Bring a flashlight. (You'll need it.)
- Don't be afraid to embrace the weirdness. It's part of the charm.
- Bring a friend. It's always better to be scared with someone else.
The One Thing That Could Use Improvement: The Wi-Fi. Seriously, guys.
Final Verdict:
Escape to Spookdraai: Agulhas's Most Haunted B&B?! is a truly unforgettable experience. It's not perfect (what is?), but it's undeniably unique. If you're looking for a genuinely spooky getaway, a place with character, and a chance to feel your hair stand on end, then book a room. Book now. You won't regret it…if you make it out alive, that is.
Compelling Offer for Escape to Spookdraai: Agulhas's Most Haunted B&B?!
Dare to Sleep Where Spirits Roam?
Tired of boring beach holidays? Yearning for an escape that’s… different? Then, prepare to be charmed and chilled at Escape to Spookdraai: Agulhas's Most Haunted B&B?! – the ONLY accommodation in Agulhas where you might share your bed… with a ghost!
Here's the Deal:
- Haunted Haven: Experience the thrill of staying in a historically

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're headed to the End of the F'ing World (and I mean that in the BEST way) – Spookdraai B&B in Agulhas, South Africa. This isn't some polished travel brochure; it's my brain dumping its vacation into a digital abyss. Here goes…
Spookdraai B&B: My Brain on Holiday (And Maybe a Few Too Many Savanna Ciders)
Pre-Trip Meltdown (or, the Joy of Packing)
- The Promise: "Relaxation! Tranquility! Away from that screaming printer and the mountain of laundry!"
- The Reality: Three days before, staring at my suitcase with the same blank horror as a deer caught in headlights. Did I pack enough socks? (Always a gamble.) Swimsuit? (Essential, even if I spend 90% of the time hiding under a beach umbrella.) The travel adapter that always gets left behind? (Betting on it this time. See you in Cape Town, tech-less!)
- The Anxiety: "Will the car make it? Will my passport mysteriously vanish in the black hole that is my handbag? Will I actually be able to unplug? (Doubtful, but we'll try.)"
Day 1: Arrival, Wind, and the Sudden Realization I'm An Old Mare
The Drive: The N2 from Cape Town. Pretty. Long. And filled with moments of existential dread brought on by the sheer effort of steering a car for more than an hour. Seriously, how do truck drivers do this all day?
Spookdraai! (Finally!): Oh. My. God. This isn't just a B&B. It's a vibe. Quirky, charming, a little bit…wobbly in the best way. The owner, a woman named Maria (I think? Everything's still a blur) greeted me like I was a long-lost relative. Hugs, cheek kisses, the whole shebang. Jet lag + overwhelming warmth = instant puddle of mush.
The Room: "Sea view!" advertised with dramatic flair. It's… a sideways view. I can make out a sliver of the ocean if I crane my neck and squint. But the bed? Heavens, the bed. It's the kind you sink into and never want to leave.
The Wind: Okay, the wind. It's fierce. It's constant. It's making me question my life choices and my ability to maintain a decent hairstyle. I swear I saw tumbleweeds of dried seaweed rolling down the "Main Road."
The Walk: Brave and full of wonder I make a short walk down the street to a coffee shop for caffeine and a toasted cheese sandwich. I had to return to the B&B a while later to escape the wind
I went to take a shower and realised I had to go fetch my bag from the car. This is the beginning of the end for me, I'm clearly not built for adventure.
Evening: A bottle of local wine, staring out the window, and the deep, soul-soothing hum of the ocean. The wind has calmed, and I'm starting to feel… human again. Though my legs still ache from that (admittedly short) walk. Maybe I am an old mare.
Day 2: Lighthouses, Lobster Rolls, and the Bitter Taste of FOMO
- Morning: Breakfast! Big, generous, and with the kind of eggs that remind you what life can be. Maria's secret weapon: a squeeze of lemon. The sun is shining! The wind is mostly gone! Today is going to be great, I thought.
- The Agulhas Lighthouse: Okay, this is stunning. The red and white stripes against the blue sky. Climbing to the top was a bit of a challenge (again, old mare). The view from the top? Breathtaking. And the wind up there? Even worse. I nearly lost my hat, my dignity, and possibly my lunch.
- Lunch at The Lighthouse Restaurant: "The best lobster roll in the world!" claimed the menu. It was very good. Honestly, everything tasted amazing after that climb. And the Sauvignon Blanc? Perfection. (Side note: I may or may not have ordered a second roll. Don't judge.)
- The Most Southern Tip of Africa: I stood there. At the very end of the world as it were. I poked my toe into the water where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans clash. It's cold, it's windy, and it's a humbling reminder that this planet is bigger than my worries. Beautiful stuff, especially the colour of the sky which was just so different and amazing.
- The Hike I Didn't Do (and My Regrets): There was a hiking trail. I opted for the beach. "Too much walking already, legs. Legs, you hear me?" I regret this. Massively. I saw photos later, and it looked spectacular. Next time, I'm dragging myself up that mountain, even if I have to crawl.
- The Evening: Wine. Cheese. A book. Bliss. Even though the wind picked up again, I feel calmer. Agulhas is working its magic.
Day 3: Beachcombing, a Bittersweet Farewell, and a Promise to Return
- Morning: Beach! I spent the morning wandering the beach, collecting shells and avoiding the surf. It hit me for all its worth. All of the worries. The to-dos. The emails waiting for me. They felt insignificant, like grains of sand.
- The "What Now" Moment: I was sitting in the sand feeling more at peace than I'd felt in ages and noticed a family swimming and playing close by. The kids laughing and mum and dad just enjoying. This kind of moment, which is the real prize.
- Farewell Breakfast: Another incredible breakfast, with a side of Maria's infectious laughter. Saying goodbye felt like leaving family. I almost started crying. Almost.
- The Drive Back: The drive back was long, reflecting on this amazing time.
Postscript – The Aftermath of the Holiday:
- Reality Bites: Back to the grind. The printer has resumed screaming. The laundry is piling up. But something is different. I carry a little bit of Agulhas with me. The wind, the sea, the taste of lobster rolls, and the warmth of Maria's welcome. And I have vowed to return.
- The Epilogue: I'm already planning my return to Spookdraai. And this time, I'm conquering that damn hiking trail. You hear me, legs? We're doing this. Because even if I am an old mare, I can still gallop… at least for a little while.

So, is Escape to Spookdraai ACTUALLY haunted? Like, for REAL?
Look, here's the thing. I'm not *exactly* a ghost hunter, okay? More of a... enthusiastic skeptic? But Spookdraai? Oh MAN. That place… it's got vibes. And not the good, chill-on-the-beach vibes. Think more… creaky floorboards, shadowy figures in the corner of your eye, and the distinct feeling someone's breathing on the back of your neck when you’re SURE you're alone.
Some people, the *believers*, swear it's crawling with the dearly departed. Others – like my skeptical friend, Dave (who, ironically, had the *worst* experience) – will tell you it's just an old building with a lot of… *interesting*… acoustics. I'm still on the fence, I'm just gonna say I'm... deeply suspicious. Very, very suspicious.
What kind of "experiences" can I expect at Spookdraai?
Well, this is where things get… personal. They have these 'ghost hunts' and 'psychic readings' and all this jazz. I signed up for one of those. Honestly, I expected a bit of faff, a few jump scares. What I *didn't* expect was… well, let me tell you about the *blue room*.
They call it the "Blue Room of Broken Hearts." Sounds dramatic, right? It IS DRAMATIC. We were doing a seance. Don't judge. I was curious! The air got *thick*. Like, you could *taste* the sadness. Then, the *cold*. Not just a cold breeze, but a bone-chilling, "someone-just-died-in-here" kind of cold. And the smell… like a forgotten, cheap perfume mixed with something… metallic. Then, the table *moved*. Not a wobble. A solid, purposeful, *sliding across the room* move. Dave, bless his heart, swore he’d been pulling on it, but I saw him. He *wasn’t*. I nearly wet my pants. I swore off seances forever after that.
Other things? Cold spots are a common one. Whispering in the hallways. Odd noises. One lady apparently saw a little girl in a white dress bouncing a ball. I think I saw a shadow out the corner of my eye, once. It sounds all dramatic but it was also... kind of boring, in a terrifying way.
Are there any "safe" bedrooms at Spookdraai? Anywhere I WON'T be terrorized?
Ha! Safe? That's a good one. Honestly? I'm not sure. They all have their own, um, *stories*. Some are supposedly quieter than others, but I'm not putting any money to ensure a safe stay. The staff are pretty good, they might know. But you're taking a chance. You're *always* taking a chance. Embrace the chaos! Just... pack an extra pair of underwear. *Seriously*. And maybe a rosary or whatever works for you. I took a LOT of pictures during the trip and when I looked back they were just… creepy!
Okay, so the Blue Room... what happened *specifically*? And was it actually scary?
Alright, alright… let's dissect the Blue Room incident again. Can we get a shot of whiskey while we're at it? Because remembering it still gives me chills.
It started with the psychic. She seemed legitimately freaked out. Like, she kept saying things like, "There's a… a *presence* here." (Original, right?). We tried the table-tapping thing, you know, one hand lightly on the table, the usual. The first few answers were just riddles, ambiguous stuff. Then it got *real*. The table started to *vibrate*. It was like watching a bad horror movie, except you were *in* it.
And then the *cold* hit. Jesus Christ, the cold. You could see your breath. And then the table SLID. Then, the psychic started *crying*. Actual, real tears. "It's… a woman," she sobbed. "She's heartbroken." I got this odd feeling, not scared, but *sad*. Like someone was pouring their misery into my head. It was… intense. My heart sank. I honestly felt so bad for this "ghost woman". Even Dave, who was normally as stoic as a rock, went white. We bolted after that, practically tripping over each other. And then, I couldn’t sleep for a week.
Was it scary? Absolutely terrifying, but also… oddly compelling. I can’t explain it, but it was an experience that I'll never forget. In all likelihood.
Is the food any good? Because, you know, gotta have SOMETHING to look forward to.
Okay, yeah. The food. Honestly? It's pretty decent. Not Michelin-star quality, but solid, hearty, home-style stuff. Comfort food, you know? Which is what you *need* after being spooked out of your mind. The breakfasts were good. Lots of bacon. The dinner was… meat and two veg. Nothing to write home about, really. But the problem is, I couldn’t taste anything properly because I was so on edge. It all just tasted like… anxiety. Good thing they had a well-stocked bar.
Would you recommend Escape to Spookdraai?
Ugh. This is the million-dollar question, isn't it? Here's the thing. If you’re looking for a relaxing, chill getaway, absolutely not. Run. Run far, far away.
If you’re looking for a unique, unforgettable, possibly terrifying experience? A place to push your boundaries and get a good story to tell for years? Then, yeah. Yeah, I would. Just remember to pack your sense of humor (you'll need it!) and maybe a spare pair of… well, you know. And don't blame me if you end up sleeping with the lights on for the next month. You've been warned. And me? I'm still kind of torn. I want to go back! But… maybe not alone... and maybe not to the Blue Room.
Are there any other creepy things to do in Agulhas?
Hmm, that's a tricky one. Agulhas is a pretty small town. The spooky charm of *Escape to Spookdraai* really dominates. There's the shipwreck museum, which is interesting, but not outwardly... haunted. There'sBook a Stay

